Monday, July 6, 2015

Signs, signs everywhere are signs…
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind…
Do this, don’t do that, can’t you read the signs??

So I made Dave stop on the bridge, just past the mighty Missouri River so I could get out in the pouring rain and stand ankle deep in rushing water by the “Welcome to Nebraska” sign.  Dave took the picture, gave me the thumbs up and I got back into the car. I immediately began to crop the picture so the welcome sign was front and center. As I whittled away at the picture, I noticed the saying on the bottom of the sign, “Home of Arbor Day.”
ARBOR DAY!!!  I know Arbor Day! But I never connected it with Nebraska.
So here is your history lesson for the day:
J. Sterling Morton and his wife were pioneers who, like many others, moved to the Nebraska Territory in 1854. They were lovers of nature. Morton eventually became the editor of Nebraska’s finest newspaper. He used that forum to spread enthusiasm for trees and for the environment.
Settlers in the Nebraska territory with its vast open plains needed trees as wind breaks to keep the soil in place and for shade from the hot Nebraska sun.  
On January 4th, the state board of Agriculture agreed that a  tree planting holiday should be celebrated in Nebraska.

As I embark on my journey to the big trees, I will pay more attention to all the signs along the way.

8 comments:

  1. You are a talented writer. I am so excited to be on this journey with you! Thanks for the lesson of the day. LOVE what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I have been out of touch for a while. ..what is your goal? I love your blog and the first post. Are you headed to Sequoia National Park, Yosemite, and or Muir Woods? Have a great journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail...
      I am headed to Yosemite, up the pacific coast and then to the Redwoods.I am investigating the forest communities of that area.
      Thanks for following.

      Delete
  3. So I have been out of touch for a while. ..what is your goal? I love your blog and the first post. Are you headed to Sequoia National Park, Yosemite, and or Muir Woods? Have a great journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I have been out of touch for a while. ..what is your goal? I love your blog and the first post. Are you headed to Sequoia National Park, Yosemite, and or Muir Woods? Have a great journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the lyrics! Tesla's version is a fave of mine! Awesome bit of history to learn-thanks! It will be fun to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi! I have been researching what makes blogs interesting and a good opening is essential....just like I tell my second graders about their stories. Thanks for following!

      Delete